Richie Havens’ recording of ‘I Can’t Make It Anymore’ is, I believe, one of the wonders of this mad old world. It is possible some know the song as a rare single or some from Richie’s 1966 LP Mixed Bag. Some may have heard it on Paul Weller’s recent Ace compilation That Sweet Sweet Music which, to me, makes perfect sense as the song has got a similar feel to ‘My Ever Changing Moods’. I have to confess that while I admire Richie’s frantic strumming and the rhythmic intensity of some of his most famous recordings, it’s the ballads I really rate, like 'I Can't Make It', like ‘San Francisco Bay Blues’ on that debut LP and ‘Sandy’ too which perfectly complements the later Wolfhounds song of the same name.
The gorgeous ‘I Can’t Make It Anymore’ is a Gordon
Lightfoot song, and as far as I know he never released it himself. There’s a
demo version floating around, but that’s about it which is odd as it is such a
beautiful song. It would fit perfectly alongside ‘Early Mornin’ Rain’ on his
debut LP Lighfoot! Now there’s another beautiful song: ‘Early
Mornin’ Rain’. A song performers really seem to connect with judging by the
number of cover versions there have been, starting with Ian & Sylvia and
Peter, Paul & Mary.
I have a particular fondness for the Bob Dylan recording
of it on Self Portrait. I think it is one of Bob’s great vocal
performances. Very recently I stumbled across a
fantastic clip of Ronnie Hawkins performing this song
on a 1968 Canadian TV special which seems extraordinarily beautiful. This led
me to the spectral studio version Ronnie recorded which is even better and made
me wonder if these could have influenced Bob’s one. Who knows? And is Elvis’
the best of all? Maybe. Some days.
More recently Paul Weller has performed a lovely version. Well, I say recently, but you know what I mean. More genuinely recently, anyone who has seen Aki Kaurismäki’s 2023 magical film Fallen Leaves will have heard a haunting Finnish adaptation of it, Rauli Badding Somerjoki singing ‘Aamuöiseen sateeseen’ which somehow perfectly captures the melancholy mood of the film. It must be wonderful to be a songwriter and witness your creations spreading right around the world.
Ironically, as far as I know, Gordon Lightfoot has
never been one to record other people’s songs. There are exceptions and indeed
his first US single was a cover of Bob’s ‘Just Like Tom Thumb’s Blues’ and his
first LP contained covers of Ewan MacColl’s ‘The First Time Ever I Saw Your
Face’ and a particularly beautiful recording of Phil Ochs’ ‘Changes’. Gordon
and Phil seem to have had a genuine friendship and mutual appreciation thing
going on. I recently came across (on the website of Lightfoot’s biographer
Nicholas Jennings) a scan of a lovely piece Phil wrote about Gordon for Broadside
in July 1965 which is both funny and smart.
In it Phil mentions that Ian Tyson of Ian &
Sylvia shared his enthusiasm for Gordon’s work with one of his managers, John
Court who was a partner of Albert Grossman, and convinced him to fly up to
Toronto to see Lightfoot perform. Court was won over and so the ball was set
rolling. Court went on to produce Gordon’s first LP, featuring support from
Bruce Langhorne, the arranger of ‘I Can’t Make It Anymore’, which I guess is
also a connection to Richie Havens who became another of Court and Grossman’s
acts, with John also producing Richie’s debut LP, Mixed Bag.
Talking of Phil, there is the eternal mystery of
Clydie King and ‘When In Rome’ which on the essential Imperial & Minit
years compilation is credited to Phil Ochs. It’s not a cover of Phil’s ‘When In
Rome’. That would be too good to be true. But it does have a very Phil Ochs
feel. And if it is not one of Phil’s songs, who wrote it? What’s the story
behind it? And why was it buried for 30 years? Somebody must know. I’ll keep on
about it until I find out.
It actually feels rather like it could have come
from the sessions for the LP Phil’s ‘When In Rome’ appears on, Tape From
California. Indeed, the title track is surely perfect for enlightened
dancefloors. And
the single version of ‘The Harder They Fall’ is gloriously
and unexpectedly funky. Incidentally, did Richie Havens ever perform any of
Phil’s songs? I know they appeared on the same bill various times, but I am not
aware Richie recorded anything of Phil’s. I could be wrong.
Anyway, in certain circles a more famous version
of ‘I Can’t Make It Anymore’ is the accelerated 1967 Spyder Turner one which became
popular on the Northern Soul scene. It’s such a great name isn’t it? Spyder
Turner! Sounds like someone in a band supporting The Tickets down at the Bridge
House in Canning Town in late 1978. I suspect the Spyder Turner version is a
favourite of the DJ Richard Searling as he’s included it on at least two
compilations: Northern Soul Connoisseurs Vol 2 on Spectrum in 2005 and Wigan
Casino 40: Northern Soul from 2013. In the liner notes for the former
Richard gives a neat mention to the Havens version. Spyder also recorded a very
nice cover of The Fugs’ ‘Morning Morning’, another number Richie performs on Mixed
Bag.
It’s an unusual sequence of events isn’t it? A
singer from a folk background writes a song that becomes a favourite on
Northern Soul dancefloors. I can’t think of too many other examples. You may be
able to. The one that occurs to me immediately is the Paul Simon song, ‘You
Don’t Know Where Your Interest Lies’, which was recorded in 1967 by Dana Valery
before Simon & Garfunkel released their version. Dana’s single was arranged
and produced by Charlie Calello which as Laura Nyro fans will agree is always a
good sign.
The flipside of Dana’s single possibly also
qualifies. Her ‘Having You Around’ was written by the team of Frank Catana with
Barbara Cooper. Barbara had been a member of the folk ensemble The Womenfolk. In
her own name Barbara released a couple of mid -1960s singles featuring compositions
she and Frank had written. These have a lovely Petula Clark feel to them, and
in particular Barbara’s wonderful recording of ‘The Playground’ has its
devotees on the Northern Soul scene. Another classic of hers is the haunting
ballad ‘Patterns’ which would also be recorded by Kiki Dee and Sandy Posey.
I guess there’s Pete Seeger’s ‘Where Have All The
Flowers Gone’, but that rapidly became a new standard and had been widely
recorded by among others Marlene Deitrich, the Kingston Trio, Peter, Paul and
Mary and over here Tommy Steele. On the
Northern Soul scene Walter Jackson’s version was popular and has achieved immortality
as the last song played at Wolverhampton’s Catacombs. There’s another excellent
uptempo recording by the great Freddie Scott with an arrangement by Garry
Sherman and production by Gerry Goffin which is an unbeatable combination.
On the theme of folk-related singer/songwriters, Freddie’s
1970 take on Bob Dylan’s ‘I Shall Be Released’ is quite something. For me, it
is one of the great performances. And it is one of my favourite songs by Bob.
Just imagine someone sitting on their bunk in a prison cell, an unharmful
gentle soul misplaced inside a jail, nearing the end of their sentence, silently
singing those lines: “So I remember ev’ry face / Of ev’ry man who put me here /
I see my light come shining / From the west unto the east / Any day now, any
day now / I shall be released.”
There is plenty of overlap between Bob Dylan and
the soul milieu. And it is very hard to resist mentioning The Brothers &
Sisters’ Dylan’s Gospel project, overseen by Lou Adler in 1971 with
arrangements by Gene Page and an all-star cast including great soul singers
such as Merry Clayton, Patrice Holloway, Gloria Jones, Clydie King, Sherlie
Matthews and Edna Wright.
There is also the excellent How Many Roads: Black
America Sings Dylan CD which came out on Ace in 2010. This was put together
and annotated by Tony Rounce, a name I seem to recall first seeing in the mod
fanzine Maximum Speed back in 1979 when he’d written in trying to
interest the new generation in 6Ts Soul events happening in the Capital. I have
no idea why that sticks in my mind. It may even be a false memory. Who knows?
Someone will.
Anyway, the Ace collection contains a fantastic
selection of Dylan interpretations, including Freddie Scott’s ‘I Shall Be
Released’ and The Persuasions’ wonderful acapella recording of ‘The Man In Me’
from 1972.
The great Eddie & Ernie recorded a superb
uptempo version of ‘Lay Lady Lay’ in 1972 apparently at the suggestion of Dave
Godin, a fact that always makes me want to punch the air with joy, in private.
It is a track tailor-made for frantic dancefloors but would never have been
part of the soundtrack for the original Northern Soul scene as it ‘lay’
unreleased for 30 years until it appeared on the essential Kent collection of
Eddie & Ernie recordings, Lost Friends. I wonder if it ever gets
played at events nowadays?
Look up Bob Dylan and Northern Soul covers and the
chances are you will get caught up in discussions about photography. This is all to do
with the Ian Berry photo used on the cover of Bob’s 2020 set Rough and Rowdy
Ways. The shot was apparently taken back in 1964 at a club night in
London’s East End, featuring what are now no doubt ghosts of Cable Street, and it is
easy to see the appeal for Dylan’s people. Before that, though, there was a
Chess Northern Soul CD put together by MOJO’s Lois Wilson. The cover of
this great 2005 collection just happens to also be that Ian Berry shot,
coincidentally or not.
Lois’ compilation features ‘Look At Me Now’ and ‘Ordinary Joe’ by Terry Callier, for me two of the greatest recordings ever. But before Terry paired up with Charles Stepney in Chicago for Cadet he was in Greenwich Village and sang and played as part of the folk scene there. His debut LP which captures the spirit of that time, the magical New Folk Sound, features ‘Promenade in Green’ or as it is better known ‘Green Rocky Road’. It’s a song that has been often recorded and its evolution is fascinating with credits for adapting what was a kid’s rhyme being given to the Beat poet Bob Kaufman and the folk singer Len Chandler.
I strongly suspect I first came across Len’s name
in Sis Cuningham’s liner notes for Phil Ochs’ All The News That ‘s Fit To
Sing where she wrote: “Phil Ochs, Bob Dylan, Len Chandler, Tom Paxton,
Peter La Farge, Mark Spoelstra – these are America’s ‘angry young men of song’
(as the N.Y. News calls them) – whose creative ability is largely
responsible for an exciting new development in U.S. music.” It would be many,
many years before I heard any Len Chandler tracks, which is odd. He didn’t
record a lot, essentially two LPs overseen by John Hammond at Columbia in the
mid-1960s, which again is odd. Dylan speaks highly of him in Chronicles
and Len is one of the secret heroes of Richard Barone’s essential Greenwich
Village book, Music + Revolution.
In 1964 Len’s song ‘Beans In My Ears’ became a Top
30 hit in the States for the Serendipity Singers. It is one of those annoyingly
catchy, subversive songs for kids one knows without knowing why. And one can
speculate why Len recorded very little compared to some of his
contemporaries. It’s easy to imagine one reason. Nevertheless his first LP, To
Be A Man, came out in 1966. This was billed as “a recording debut” but
actually Len had appeared on a 1960 Beat Generation compilation of “jazz poetry
and folk lyrics”.
On Len’s Columbia debut there’s a track called ‘Keep
On Keepin’ On’. Fans of Nolan Porter, Curtis Mayfield and also the earlier ‘We
Got To Keep On’ by the Casanova Two might leap to the conclusion that here is
another example of a folk singer coming up with something for soulful
dancefloors, but actually it is a straight acoustic number. But not just
a straight acoustic number. What is significant is that it is often reported
that one of Martin Luther King’s team noticed the song in the November 1963
edition of Broadside and that is how the great man would later come to use the
phrase in his speeches. Others may point to a speech he made during the
Montgomery Bus Boycott back in 1956 where he said: “Doesn’t mean that when the
bus problem is solved all problems are solved. (No)There will be others.
But we must keep on moving and keep on keeping on.” Both stories can be true, I guess, in their own way.
There is no question that Len Chandler was a
committed activist, literally on the frontline of the Civil Rights movement. He
was there performing, alongside Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Peter, Paul & Mary,
and others, singing for the crowds at the March On Washington For Jobs And
Freedom, in August 1963, the day Dr King delivered his immortal ‘I Have A
Dream’ speech. Len’s there in newsreel footage, at the end of the folk
community’s contribution, leading Bob, Joan & co in a rendition of ‘Eyes on
the Prize’. Len died 60 years later to the very day. There is some mad
symbolism there.
Remember what Bob wrote? “One thing about Chandler
was that he was fearless. He didn’t suffer fools, and no one could get in his
way. He was powerfully built, like a linebacker, could kick your silly ass from
here to Chinatown, could probably break anybody’s nose. He had studied economics
and science, and had it down. Len was brilliant and full of goodwill, one of
those guys who believed that all of society could be affected by one solitary
life.” If you’ve read Chronicles you’ll know Bob’s priceless anecdote
about riding pillion on Len’s Vespa across Brooklyn Bridge in high winds.
“And I just can't keep from thinking there's
trouble everywhere so I guess I've gotta keep on keepin' on.” It’s
such a powerful song. If not necessarily one for the
dancefloors. For fans of the folk and soul interaction, however, there was a
Len Chandler single, also in 1966 on Columbia, called ‘Song of the Mind’ and
made with the dream team of Teddy Vann and Horace Ott. Admittedly, as it
progresses, the song veers off at strange tangents but, goodness me, there are
moments when it really has that beatin’ rhythm and that drivin’ beat the soul
folk thrive on. The thunderous drums are quite something when they come in,
though I have no idea who played on this recording.
Mind you, Pretty Purdie played on The Lovin’
People, the LP Len recorded for Columbia in 1967 and which I have been
rather obsessed with in recent times. It’s one of those records that, when you
discover it, you think: “Why the hell did nobody tell me about this?” It is far
more reflective of the time in which it was made and is positively baroque
compared to Len’s debut for Columbia. And while or because they are small in
number it is important with Len’s recordings that the activism doesn’t
overshadow the artistry.
His arrangements for this record are exceptional:
those drums, the organ, the poetry and wordplay, the richness of Len’s singing,
those horns at times which sound like they’re informed by the New Thing in Jazz,
the delicate filigree of guitar, the intensity. It burns. And at times
explodes. Plus, it is hard to pin down. There are times it makes me think of
that old Jazzman compilation whatiswrongwithgroovin’ and how some tracks
might fit alongside Kathleen Emery’s ‘Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless
Child’, Fred Johnson’s ‘A Child Runs Free’, Lorez Alexandria’s ‘Send In The
Clowns’, Freddie Cole’s ‘Brother Where Are You’ and the title track by Letta
Mbulu: ‘Free Soul’ indeed.
Speaking of which, there are a couple of
astonishing tracks on The Lovin’ People which in my view would be
perfect for an enlightened Northern Soul-related dancefloor, ‘Bound To Fly’ plus
‘And Still I Dream’. Although it is more of a ballad the song that really
fascinates me is Len’s ‘Sold Out, No More Reservations’. I don’t know if it
refers to anyone specific or if it is simply a character study of a bitter old
lover or fan left behind when someone becomes a star. There, however, is the all-too-real
sense or feeling of betrayal experienced in the music world when someone we’ve
been close to changes or compromises or conforms and it seems loses something special
along the way. Some of you may know what I mean and will have your own names:
“But the girl I saw through the spotlight that
night was not the girl I'd known in ’63 / The gay and carefree clown had
somehow settled down / Her eyes had a strange new brightness / In between her
words it seems now that I heard no hint of her old brand of lightness.” It
makes a striking companion piece to Phil Ochs’ ‘Chords of Fame’, both being
songs about those left behind on the other side of fame. Coincidentally or not,
Len sang a
defiant version of ‘Links on the Chain’ at the Phil Ochs
Memorial Concert at Felt Forum in NYC in 1976, a month after Phil's death.
The Lovin’ People
was produced by Elliot Mazer who went on to work with some of the big
names, and had a long working relationship with Neil Young, but back then in
1967 he was pretty new to the Columbia set-up, pretty young too, in his mid-20s
– most producers working for major labels were considerably older - but he’d
already produced some cool jazz records for Cameo Parkway and Prestige by
artists such as Dave Pike and Clark Terry.
I suspect that, as a newcomer, Mazer initially got
to work with the artists Columbia didn’t know what to do with, like Len and
also Pozo-Seco who’d dropped the Singers part of their name for the LP they
made with Elliot, 1968’s Shades of Time. The Pozos had been around for a
little while by then, and Columbia had tried a few things with them. Producer
Bob Johnston had even taken the folk-pop outfit into quasi-Northern Soul
territory with their take on Chip Taylor’s ‘I Can Make It With You’ and his own
‘Excuse Me Dear Martha’ which wonderfully sounds like it could be a Charlie
Rich mid-1960s cut. It’s that good.
Shades of Time
closes with a beautiful cover of Len Chandler’s ‘Keep On Keepin’ On’. I don’t
think there have been too many other versions. Susan Taylor takes the lead
vocals on this. Now, I have a lot of time for her musical partner in the Pozos,
Don Williams, and love the ensemble’s celestial harmonies, but when Susan sings
something strange happens inside of me, icebergs melt, things noticeably shiver
and shake, that kind of thing. Her voice is amazing. Just have a listen to her
singing ‘Bye Bye Love’. It is quite frighteningly beautiful and spiritual.
I am kind of ashamed to say I am a new convert to the Pozos’ cause, and as part of that I have only recently discovered Susan made one solo LP, Finally Getting Home in 1972, which is pretty special. In modern times this lovely record has been reissued by Susan on the PuffBunny label which she is involved in running. You are likely to find it under the name of Taylor Pie which is the name Susan has used for many years now.
Fortuitously, I recently found a wonderful
documentary on Taylor Pie and the Pozo-Seco Singers, Nobody Famous,
directed and produced by Elizabeth Ahlstrom. It’s an enlightening look back at
the 1960s and how later Susan as Taylor Pie went on to create her own safe
space where she carried on making folk music in a way she could avoid
compromising and kowtowing. If you have a spare hour anytime, it is very much
worth watching.
In the film, 30 minutes in, there is a tantalising glimpse of footage
from October 1967 of the Pozo-Seco Singers performing Bonnie Dobson’s ‘Morning
Dew’ on The Mike Douglas Show with Susan (or Taylor) taking the lead.
It’s almost frighteningly moving, but there is so little of it. It doesn’t seem
to have emerged anywhere else, either. In fact, I can find no clips of the
Pozos performing on YouTube. It’s far starker and darker than their single
version, an early cover of the song. Incidentally, one of the first people to
record ‘Morning Dew’ was Fred Neil on the LP he made with Vince Martin. Fred’s
own ‘Dolphins’ has been widely covered, and soul fans will know Al Wilson’s gorgeous
1968 version. An honourable mention must go to Terry Callier for his duet with
Beth Orton which Heavenly released in 1997.
The song written by Fred Neil which I guess most
people know is ‘Everybody’s Talkin’’ with the Nilsson version appearing on the Midnight
Cowboy soundtrack. Looking back, I believe I first became aware of the film
via Dexys Midnight Runners and mentions by Kevin in ‘Keep It Part Two’ and the
insert that came with ‘Show Me’. When I finally got to see the film, it seemed
strange to come across ‘Everybody’s Talkin’’ in it as the song seemed so
familiar from radio shows while growing up.
Anyway, among the many people who have covered the
song there is the great Salena Jones and appropriately her 1970 LP was titled Everybody’s
Talkin’ About Salena Jones. It’s a great version. ‘Everybody’s Talkin’’
quickly became something of a standard within the soul community and it was
recorded by some of the big hitters such as Stevie Wonder, the Four Tops,
Martha & the Vandellas, Carolyn Franklin, Bobby Womack, Tamiko Jones, Bill
Withers and Harold Melvin, who all covered it with class. I won’t pretend I was
familiar with all of those before looking at the often invaluable SecondHandSongs
site.
One uptempo version I was aware of, and love
dearly, is the 1969 one by, rather neatly, Bonnie Dobson. I don’t suppose it’s
been played at too many Northern Soul events, but you never know. Stranger
things have happened. Speaking of Bonnie, fellow addicts of connectivity will
appreciate that her ‘Morning Dew’ was also covered by Salena Jones in 1970 with
a gloriously funky arrangement by Keith Mansfield which is not a million miles
from his own ‘Morning Broadway’ which appeared on the 1969 KPM LP Chorus and
Orchestra and much later on that Jazzman whatiswrongwithgroovin’
compilation.




It feels like Early Mornin' Rain is a required part of every acoustic guitarist's repertoire. It was even among a handful songs I was taught during the few months I took guitar lessons as a young teen. I'd forgotten it was in Fallen Leaves, which is a bit strange since I'm a huge fan of Kaurismäki, but I was probably too busy being lovestruck by Maustetytöt's performance in the film. If there isn't an in depth study of Kaurismäki's use of music somewhere, there should be.
ReplyDeletePleased to learn of other versions of Patterns, a favourite track of mine from Sandy Posey's Single Girl LP. Its intro always brings Ennio Morricone to mind.
Have to confess I don't know Kaurismäki's work apart from this one, and you can probably guess why this one caught my attention.
DeleteHa, for some reason that connection hadn't occurred to me until now. I don't know how accessible Kaurismäki films are at the moment, but I'd very much recommend 'The Man Without a Past' if you get the chance to see it.
Deletei can't make it anymore as featured on the only 99p soul cd . .. https://dusty7s.blogspot.com/2012/08/a-gift-for-you.html
ReplyDelete